Thursday, 20 January 2011

There's something about Strauss...

The second I accepted my dream job in an animal rescue centre there was always going to be the potential for me to bring more animals into my life, particularly ferrets. They are generally very social creatures - (odd in someways considering the solitary nature of their wild ancestors) - so I've always liked having a group of them. A 'business' in fact. That's the collective noun for ferrets - a business of ferrets, brilliant!

So hopefully if all goes well my ferret family will grow by one in the near future. There is a lovely little ferret at work by the name of Strauss (think cricket, not music). He's a lovely small gentle albino boy. I knew the first time I saw him this might happen. A feeling like he was meant for me - this happens sometimes and is how I ended up with my cats, which in itself is an interesting story but not one I will go into now. I'll save that for a future entry.

I've been thinking about getting another ferret for a little while now. In the last month or so Roo and Peregrine have really slowed down pace wise - they're getting old and they have some organ enlargement and are not the lively bouncy boys they once were. Willow is fragile and old and blind and sleeps most of the time. When she does get up she throuoghly explores my living room, raids the cat food and then goes back to bed. Little Man however is often full of beans and all on his lonesome. I play with him as much as I can but I'm no substitute for proper ferret play. He needs a friend he can pounce on and run around with like he used to with Roo and Peregrine. Strauss could be that ferret. In fact I very much suspect he'd be the perfect ferret friend for Little Man.

So, being as today was my day off I texted a friend to ask her to mention to the deputy manager that I want to reserve Strauss. He went off to be castrated today so provided all went well I can formalize it all tomorrrow and hopefully in the not too distant future he will be come home to live with me.

Someone once said to me "it's not an obsession, it's just ferret maths." I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment